Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Last Hamster
My last hamster, Eric, has died. He made it to 29 months and 3 weeks and one day.(I don't know how many hours) After eleven years of hamster breeding, hundreds, maybe thousands of babies and countless interesting experiences and a continuous line from Bunny and Mumsie, my first two hamsters, three years of caring for the last of the line, I am now without a hamster in the house.

It seems so odd. I have other pets and Eric lived a full life and happy life. I knew he was going soon, so I am not surprized. It just seems so strange to have no hamsters. I may rescue hamsters in the future. I will keep some cages set up in storage just in case. I still have my hedgehog stuff, because rescue hedgehogs sometimes happen.

But they won't be my hamsters, from my beloved Bunny and Mumsie. As long as I still had their offspring my girls were still with me somehow. I still have Bunny's wheel even though it hasn't worked in years. Some things you just have to keep.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh, Eric the Last has gone. What a long, full life he had and how many children in your area are keen animal lovers because of one of your hamsters!! It must be strange, an empty cage can be heart breaking, but you have so many others to console you and I, for one, find piggy kisses to be a great consolation.

Good Bye Eric the Last, you will be missed very much, along with all your line.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Eris the Last, I like that. I will remember him that way.
He is the last proud member of a fine hamster family. They were really nice dwarfies, very cute and very friendly. You are right, there are countless numbers of children who had a first pet because of my dwarfies.

The cage is still empty, but I will clean it up today and put it away. I can rearrange things a little because I no longer need hamster supplies.

You are right Guinea pig snuggles and kisses are a great help.
I get a lot of snake snuggles and hugs as well.Heart
Catherine

Such sad news to hear of Eric's passing, Catherine.
Something tells me the hamster nest will not be empty for long, though.
I can only imagine the day when you are reunited with Eric and all the other pets you have had along the way.
I know your group will be, by far, the largest group at the bridge.
You will be lost in an army of snuggles and kisses from each and every one of these little creatures [too many species to list] you have saved, loved, and nurtured!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Thank-you. After all these years it seems sad to see an empty hamster bin and a silent wheel. I am sure I will rescue hamsters and other things from time to time, but Eric was the last descendant of my first hamsters, Bunny and Mumsie.

If all the descendants of my girls greet me at once I shall disappear under a pile of hamster fluff balls. It will be like the Star Trek episode about the Tribbles. We did have good times my hamsters and I and Eric was one of the best.Heart
Catherine

(11-02-2014, 04:10 PM)Catherine Wrote: If all the descendants of my girls greet me at once I shall disappear under a pile of hamster fluff balls. It will be like the Star Trek episode about the Tribbles.
I was not online when this thread started and have only just seen it. I am very sorry to read your news, but something tells me that hamsters will be seen in your home in the not very distant future...!

I remember the Tribbles episode. They knew who were the goodies and baddies! If you are covered by a pile of very grateful and loving hamsters, I sure that you will love it. Or maybe they will wait patiently in a queue - but probably not; they will all want to greet you at once! [Image: ezgif.com-resize.gif]
The will swarm all over me and be very fuzzy and very loving.

I an keeping enough supplies so I can take a hamster in an "emergency". Most likely I will adopt any that are old or damaged. The young healthy ones can become great pets for someone, but I am okay with taking on a hamster in need, or a guinea pig. I am not set up for a rabbit, but I could probably manage if I had to. Some of my reptiles are damaged pets. Someone has to love the broken ones.

Eric was sweet though and I keep trying to give him a treat and then I remember he is gone.
Catherine