Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goat Survey
I'm certain my aversion is purely psycological, lol!
I would like to eventually try some goat milk. Female goats do not have the same 'smell' as the males [fortunately].
My goats are of the 'smallish' variety. I have had to milk them in the past, but only when trying to get a fussy newborn to nurse. The amount of milk I was getting was so small, I thought at the time, it would take me hours to get a cup full, lol!!
I haven't seen the yogurt around but I would give that a try for sure. We use yogurt in place of sour cream. The taste is very similar and a lot less calories and fat. Smile
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I have taken the survey as well! There were some very interesting questions there. I hope your assessment goes well, and welcome to ALWF. Smile
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. --Steven Wright / http://www.zyggywebs.com / tech support & web design, I'm always happy to be of assistance!
I use yogurt instead of sour cream. It is much better for you. It works for most things. I would think goats milk yogurt would be very good.

There are a number of goat dairies around here and I actually can choose which brand I prefer and it comes in whole milk, 2% or skin milk. I can get a whole range of goat cheeses. The feta is strong and salty, but the cream cheeses are mild and often seasoned in different ways.
I just assumed you were regularly getting milk from your goats. If they are the small ones then you are right, it might take awhile to even get a cupful.

The goat products are really good.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I know it sounds funny, that I have goats but no goats milk. A couple of my goats have some Nubian milkgoat in them, but still not enough for really making milking practical. Not to mention the only time they have milk is when they have babies and I like to make sure the wee ones have plenty.
I have taken the goat survey myself. It was interesting and there were a couple places where you could add inofrmation. A good thing because some questions cannot be answered "yes" or "no".
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Surveys are always hard to answer. They want yes or no answers to complex questions. There is no way to correlate the data if you do not answer yes and no. I suppose a survey just gives a general idea of what people are thinking.

It would look like I am more involved with goats than you are since I have tried all the products, but you are the one who has goats.Smiley4

Not all goats are milk goats? Next you will be telling me that not all sheep produce wool and not all chickens lay eggs.Huh
Catherine

I will let AF answer for herself, as she is the goat expert. But as far as sheep are concerned, there are special breeds which produce lots of milk - and it is only those breeds which are used for commercial milk production. I wouldn't have dreamt of taking the precious little milk which my ewes produced, as every drop was needed by the lambs. With some ewes who didn't have enough milk, I even needed to buy a dried supplement to make into milk for the lambs.

So "ordinary" sheep could be said to be "non-milk sheep", in the sense that they do not produce enough apart from that needed by their lambs. As for goats, probably it is the same, but my knowldge in that area being zero, I leave it to AF, LOL!
A very warm welcome to the forum, dear LCP.

I've not filled out the survey I'm afraid. Not much I could fill in! And it seems to be gathering market research for the future promotion of goat's milk and meat....
In my opinion, such exploitation of animals needs to cease altogether, not be branched out.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Good point. Right now goat meat is a specialized market. I am not sure expanding goat meat production is the right direction either. No meat production is kind towards the animals involved.

I did not know that some sheep were milk producers as compared to other sheep. I tend to think of sheep and wool. I guess we have bred everything to be specialized for our use.
Catherine