Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pet safety and travel
This is a big issue. It seems that pet "car seats" are not really tested and there are no standards in this area. It is becoming an issue however. Once people start thinking about something action is not far behind.

http://www.pet-super-store.com/blog/heal...safety.htm

This is a related issue.
http://www.pet-super-store.com/blog/legi...-rails.htm
It would be great if we could travel with our pets safely on whatever travel method we want.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I got a standard dog harness. Then I got two special leads, which have a car seat fixing which clips into the car seat fitting on one end, and clips on the harness at the other end. I had to shorten each lead very, very short. I then clipped each lead into a separate, adjacent rear seat fitting. Thus Puce was held by two leads, on each side. This worked pretty well. She preferred being in the front - but safety first!!
Your set up would be enough to keep Puce safe. People are really just starting to think about safety and animals in vehicles. We still have to push people to use seat belts and child safety seats.

Since they started using air bags, the front seat is not safe for pets or children. Too bad. Dogs love to sit in the front seat with their heats out the window.
As you say, safety first.
Catherine

Dog car seats elevate your pet so he can see out. They are also equipped with a leash tether to attach to your pet's harness for safe pet travel.
I have special harnesses for my dogs. I need to get another one cause buddy grew out of his. I hadn't had all three dogs in the car at the same time so buddy uses molly's or I have an extra harness thats not specifically for he car but does the job.
before mia I had a wreck with my mom and dogs in the car. Im so thankful they were strapped in cause they would have hit the front seats pretty hard otherwise.
I am so glad you had the dogs strapped in. It probably wasn't that bad an accident, but the dogs would have been hurt if they had been thrown.
I am really glad that people are thinking about pet safety. Special seats and harnesses can make a real difference. I wish they made safety stuff for other animals. If I have to travel with my guinea pigs I have the carrier in the back seat so they can't get hurt by an airbag. I suppose they would be safer on the floor of the car. I will have to think about it.
Catherine

I'm so glad they were strapped in. It wasn't a bad wreck but I probably would have lost my mind on the chick had they gotten hurt. Cause she was at fault. The weird thing was I hadn't had the harness for long before that happened. It also keeps them from roaming the car which is distracting to any driver. Mia is real bad about wanting to lay in my lap when I drive. Which is dangerous not to mention that I now drive a stick shift (manual) so it's even more dangerous if she were to try and sit in my lap.
Seat belts and safety seats/harnesses make a big difference in a small accident. You don't have to be going very fast to be hurt by the impact. You were so lucky you had the dogs secured. That could have turned out badly.
No matter how careful a driver you are, there is always someone else who can make a mistake. She probably didn't mean to have an accident and certainly didn't want it. Good thing you were safe. Any time you take a pet in a car there is a risk.
The days of dogs riding in the front seat with a head out the window are long gone. We drive faster now and there are so many more cars on the road.

You can never be too safe.
Catherine

I find a dog car seat belt harness that fit my car, was comfortable for her, and safe.
Quote:I find a dog car seat belt harness that fit my car, was comfortable for her, and safe.

Isn't it great that you could get a dog safety harness for your dog. In the old days cars didn't even have seat belts for people.

What kind of dog do you have?
Catherine