Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poppy's facial reconstruction
Many people have seen and heard about Poppy from Fiji, the dog who had horrific facial injuries from an accident(?) with a machete.
She had her own Facebook page, and funds were raised for her surgery. So finally she was flown to Australia to have her badly damaged face worked on.

This is a "Bondi Vet" episode, dedicated to Poppy's treatment (42 minutes long)
http://youtu.be/4lVluceEaZk

What a brave little dog! She has such spirit, and so much love and affection.

It was very moving that the Bondi clinic offered their expensive surgery gratis! So the money raised for Poppy could be given instead to the dog rescue in Fiji.

A word of warning for the very squeamish....there are scenes of surgery in the video.
I am going to have to come back to this and watch when it is not quite so late. I really want to see the whole thing, but I do need to get up for work tomorrow.
Thank-you for posting it. Maybe I could just watch a few minutes. Tomorrow.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Poppy's character really moved me. The excruciating pain she must have gone through....and it was only 8 months before the video was filmed....plus all the changes of companionship, the 4 weeks quarantine, the air journey, and then 2 surgeries! And all the time she seemed so happy, so well-balanced, as if she was in the best situation on Earth!

I feel a bit sorry for the young woman at the Fiji rescue centre. She obviously loved Poppy very much. It must have hurt to say goodbye. I found myself wishing she could adopt Poppy after everything was over. But the lady who came with Poppy also loved her very much it seems.
I will also have a look at the video when I have more time (hopefully tomorrow). It is amazing how dogs are able to forgive and forget - and continue to give love. It is one their strongest and noble characteristics.
Oh well, sleep is over rated. I had to watch it tonight.

What an amazing story. Poppy's injuries were horrific. I can't believe she survived them in the first place.

It is amazing what they were able to do for her and she was an amazing patient. She never stopped being happy even though she must have been in a lot of pain. I am glad they were able to give her a chance at a good life.

I guess they can't send her back to Fiji even though she was much loved by her rescuers.

I hope she finds the best home ever. After all that she deserves the best.Heart
Catherine

Poppy has now been adopted by a family, and lives on The sunshine coast, Queensland. She is extremely happy and well, runs on the beach, and loves her new family.

More about her happy ending on Bondi vet season 5 episode 14:
http://youtu.be/1W_6pF4czB4
Oh well I didn't want to sleep tonight either.Smiley4

Forty minutes later:

That was totally worth it. Poppy healed so well. She looks great. They did find the right family for her. She has people and other dogs and lives in a wonderful place. We can all rest well knowing that Poppy has a wonderful happy life ahead of her. (Considering how late it is, I know I will rest well.)

The part about the baby Tiger snakes was a bonus for me. Now you can see how hard it is to hold newborn snakes. They are so tiny and active.
Catherine

Yes I also enjoyed seeing the tiger snakes. I could see how hard it was to get hold of them. They were wriggling around everywhere and so fast! Plus those are highly venomous, so wearing a huge snake-proof glove didn't help the guy catching them either!
I have trouble catching baby corn snakes without wearing gloves. Baby snakes just slide through your fingers. There is nothing to hold onto.

I will stay with my nice safe snakes thank-you.

I think Poppy found a family that really wanted her, canine and human. I love a happy ending.Heart
Catherine