Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you tell if a snake loves you?
...A question for Catherine really, this one.

Dogs' and cats' body-language is pretty easy to read -but I bet it is a more subtle thing with a snake. So how can you tell when a snake decides it is quite fond of you?
This is a tough question.
I don't think all my snakes love me. I have some snakes that I brought home as breeders. They are at least 3-5 years old and they have no bond with me. We develop a bond, but they are not all the same. Some are much closer to me.

I brought Martin home as an adult and he likes me. He won't leave his tank for anyone, but me and the person I got him from. Sometimes he just wants me to hold him. He doesn't want out of his tank, he just wants my attention.

The corn snakes I raised all love me. They love to be touched by me. When I approach the tank they look at me and respond when I talk. When I hold them they curl around me.

If all my snakes acted that way you could say it is a snake thing, but it is different for each snake.

People say they just want my warmth, but they will leave a warm basking spot to be with me.
It is not a food thing. I do not handle them when I feed. Feeding is feeding and I use long tongs. Sam is the exception. He eats better if I hold him and let him pick his food.(Sam is my special baby)

When you get to know them you can read body language. Snakes have lots of body to work with.Smiley4

I think snakes use their whole body to express affection. They are not very expressive, it is subtle. They are independent creatures so they relate as equals(at least I hope they think I am an equal). Smiley4

If they did not form loving bonds then all my snakes would be the same toward me. The Hognose Snakes trust me enough to calm down when I pick them up and will curl up in my lap.
Jake Krinkle Snake comes to look for me when he wants something. On Sat he just wanted a snuggle.Heart

How do I tell if my snakes love me? Like any pet owner, I just know. After all I know I love them.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I could see it and imagine it all. I think I understand better now.
I guess all our family members, of whatever species, express their affection in different ways. We get used to how each one does that.

I have developed a certain fondness for dear Jake Krinkle Snake -from a distance....across the Pond. Give him a kiss from me!
I will give Jake a kiss and a special snuggle from you. He is a sweetie.

I brought home a little snake I called Firebird. After a year it turned out that Firebird is male and I need him to be female. He is a special colour and I have a male lined up for Firebird. Also since he is a male he will need a separate tank of his own soon.
The litter mate still at the reptile Centre is a female. They let me switch them, but you see, pretty as she is, she is not my Firebird. Still he would be going to a good home as a pet and that would be nice.

A week later when we were sitting around talking after the centre closed, as usual, we end up holding different snakes and lizards. I got Firebird out of his tank and he wrapped around my hand and clung to me. He was missing me as much as I missed him.Heart I started to cry and they said just take him back. So now I have both of them, the little female and my dear little Firebird, with the bird marking on his head.Heart

I have never actually ever been able to return a snake like that. I am too bonded. In Firebird's case he was too bonded as well.

Reptiles like their people and even love them in their own way. People who don't get involved with their snakes and just keep them as specimens, miss out on what makes snakes special pets.
Catherine

That more or less says it all Catherine. Firebird had a bond with you and let you know about it. I am glad he came back to your family in the end.
If Firebird had been fine without me, I could have let him go, but he wanted to be with me.
If that's not love, I don't know what is.
Catherine