Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bull set on fire as part of festival.
It is called Joy of the Bull Festival.
It is cruel and demented and just plain sick.

Who thinks these weird cruel things up?
Who decides that they should still keep doing it?
http://goo.gl/news/Wsy8g

Every time I think I have heard the worst, something comes along that is one step further into barbaric madness.Angry

It seems that the protesters were well organized. They didn't fully stop things, but they did disrupt them.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/...op-4640935
You have to love animal rights protesters. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hadn't heard of this "festival". Claims of "it is our custom" or "it is our culture" do not impress. Cruelty is cruelty and wherever it is, whoever it is, it needs to be stopped. Clearly a lot of Spaniards are themselves strongly opposed to this practice, so it is not even a question of Spanish culture, more of a primitive festival from the past still being carried out by local people.

Full credit to the protesters for doing their best to stop the "festival". They did not succeed in stopping the bull from suffering, but the publicity they attracted can only do good. With continued pressure, this "festival" may eventually stop in a few years - especially if the protests grow year by year.
It seems that there are cruel "festivals" all over the world and they are just now getting publicity. Culture and custom are no excuse for actions that are unspeakably wrong.

Right now it is activist protesters who oppose it, but as people see pictures and hear about it, the general public will respond. I think you are right, in time the practice will be stopped.

It leaves me wondering how many other "festivals" are out there. It is disturbing that so many people enjoy taking part in an act of animal cruelty. The world is still an unhealthy place.
Catherine

I feel sick ....
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
I feel the same.
I had no idea that people were still sacrificing animals and using them in cruel rituals. I thought we stopped doing such things generations ago. I am shocked.
I can't picture the kind of person who participates in such things. What does an intelligent, reasonable person think when they see something like that. How do you watch and not react to stop it.

My brain is having trouble processing this. I guess it fits with the way we treat animals in factory farms. These cruel festivals are just a public display of what goes on behind closed doors all the time. They may be more extreme, but they are not different.
Catherine

(11-18-2014, 03:08 PM)Catherine Wrote: You have to love animal rights protesters. Heart

I certainly do. Huge thanks to those who fight for the rights of animals to just have a little decency. They are not asking for Heaven. Only that they will be treated with a little kindness and care.

I honestly do not know what is happening to some stratas of society. The more I hear -every day, the more horrendous it gets.

We can all do something. We all have voices, and we must use them. There are many opportunities to do so.
I think these things having been going on for a long time, but are just now getting publicity. It seems overwhelming to us to hear about so much, but bringing it into the public eye is the beginning of the end.

I want these things to end right now, but it takes time and hard work. If we are not on the front lines as protesters we can at least support them in what ever way we can.

I am sure it helps to know that people out there care and believe that that animals deserve better.
I also believe that public opinion is powerful and no country wants to be condemned as barbaric because of one of these primitive festivals.
In this age of the internet and social media it matters that we care.
Catherine

That is one of the benefits of the net. Things get publicised and diffused quickly, which before did not happen so much. These local "festivals" now come under wide public scrutiny.
I am hoping that the power of the internet can bring about change.

How wonderful to live in the internet age when we do have the ability to know about things and the possibility to change them.

I wonder how many more festivals we will hear about before the year is over.
Catherine