Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gadhimai update
I have a news alert on my Gmail about this festival.
The organizers claim the festival will be just as big and they won't be stopped. However, they will not be able to get the large number of animals that they normally have. Also the Nepal Government plans to regulate things.
It is not enough, but it is a big step.

http://www.ekantipur.com/2014/11/17/head...es/397788/

Whatever happens, there are four more years to work at preventing the next festival.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This cruel sacrificial "festival" will remain the subject of discussion on the net and of public protests, only more each time it comes around. The protests this time were more than last time, which in turn was more than the time before that. Public worldwide awareness is growing.
I think we are becoming aware of animal sacrifice around the world and we reject it. It won't stop immediately, but it will no longer be acceptable.
Even reducing the number of animals killed in the Gadhimai sacrifice is a victory. As images become public this time, there will be even more pressure to stop it. They count on tourism dollars and if people refuse to visit Nepal they will have to act. It is sad, but money pressure are the thing that will make a difference, not the animals themselves.
However as long as it stops. it doesn't matter why.
Catherine

I had heard this news, and am disappointed. But at the same time I am very glad so many people have fought and obviously will keep on fighting for this barbaric cruelty to end.

I always thought Nepal was a wonderful country with a rich and fascinating culture. Therefore many things to make "A Festival" out of! But I honestly did not think the people of Nepal were so backward and soul-less as to condone this kind of treatment of animals. It is not a religious issue. It is not an East/West cultural difference of opinion. It is a serious ethical concern.

I am personally saddened, as the agonies of those animals this November is a part of the debt my own species owes theirs, and I am sorry.
Since Janay posted about this festival I have felt troubled. I did not know that animal sacrifice was so common in the world. This may be the biggest slaughter, but even killing one animal in a "festival" is barbaric.
Longstanding tradition is no excuse for barbaric and immoral behavior. It is like saying temper tantrums are okay in adults because we did them as children.

It is time for humanity to grow up, because quite frankly we already have enough debt towards pretty much the whole planet.
Catherine

Some more recent articles:

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2014/11/20...-in-nepal/
One of the comments did not like the use of the word barbaric. How would you describe the butchery then. Perhaps primitive and ignorant is a better choice of words.

http://www.ekantipur.com/2014/11/20/nati...97929.html
How about some security for the animals.
Catherine