Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Increase in Xylitol poisoning
There has been an increase in cases of Xylitol prisoning. Much of this is because there has been an increase in the use of Xylitol. It is used in a number of foods, especially sugar free foods.
The only way to be sure a food is Xylitol free is to read its labels carefully. Any foods in the home that contain Xylitol must be stored carefully. 
It is also good to know the symptoms of Xylitol poisoning and to know the number of your local emergency vet.

We use a great many things that are toxic to pets, foods, cleaners etc.  We need to be careful of  them all. Because we can safely ingest Xylitol, it is very easy to forget it is dangerous for our pets. Maybe a not on the frig or a note on every grocery list would help. It would be so sad to lose  a pet because it snacked on one of our treats. A little caution goes a long way when it comes to safety.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]

Yes, I think Xylitol is being used a lot more now because of the push to have sugar-free foods. It is dangerous for dogs I know, and probably for all animals. We need to read labels carefully. Also beware of some foods that USED to contain ordinary sugar, but the sugar has now been swapped for articificial sweeteners (even things like baked beans!)

To be honest, I always think that within reason and in small amounts, sugar is safer than artificial sweeteners of all kinds.

Re: other artificial sweeteners:
sorbitol, maltitol, and erythritol are not poisonous for dogs. And other sugar-free products such as stevia, saccharin, sucralose, aspartame, etc. are also not poisonous for dogs.

I don't know if it's the same for all animals though.

It's easy to forget about sorbitol as well. A side effect can be diarrhea as it's a laxative. That's harmless, but could worry some people if that happened. The best thing is not to give a dog too much of something with sorbitol.
Quote:To be honest, I always think that within reason and in small amounts, sugar is safer than artificial sweeteners of all kinds.
I agree with you on this . It is better to learn to use smaller amounts of sugar than to trick the body with artificial sweeteners. They are artificial. They are not part of our normal, natural diet. The fact that they can be toxic to dogs is worrying. We use them more and more. So dogs are more at risk since they do get into human food. We don't even know what the long term use of these sweeteners is on humans. We don't know what effect a large intake of these sweeteners would have on humans.  I wouldn't want something around my home that could harm my pets.  Maybe protecting your dog by not using xylitol will also protect you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]


Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Created by Zyggy's Web Design