Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Lucy
I don't plan to try and catch any wild snakes now or in the future. lol. My birds are happy to be with us, too. They are domestic birds and never were wild.
I find that domestic animals that have been raised as pets are happy being pets.  My little doves are quite happy with their  set up and they like it here. Doves are not as close to people as Budgies, but the are very sweet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Parakeets, at least mine, adapt to the environment rather quickly. Little Bailee is a real joy. Still not sure if it is a boy or girl yet. Waiting for the Cere to change color yet. Danny and Bailee birds are adjusting to eachother.
I understand that birds have to be introduced and get to know each other.  I think that is sweet. They are more sensitive and caring than most people think.

I am glad Danny and Bailee are adjusting to each other. Is that in any way a sign that Bailee is a girl or can two males settle in together.
Catherine

Bailee and Danny groom each other and kiss a little. Bailee doesn't really like it when Danny keeps kissing him/her and will hit him with his/her beak or even bite him at times. Lucy used to bite Danny sometimes, too. He is very affectionate but the bird may feel smothered. They sit together a lot. They also have a playpen next to their cage and they play with the toys on it and Bailee likes to get in between the cage and the playpen and tunnel through the cloths on top of it. Males and females both kiss each other and groom each other so I still don't know what Bailee is. The manager of the apartment complex was over today and she met Bailee. She likes Bailee and Danny. They are really sweet birds.
It is going to be interesting to see if Bailee is a girl or not. I really can't tell with birds. I guess either way Bailee is still good company for Danny and that is what you wanted.

It is great that you have a playpen for them. Birds are quite playful and I bet they love it. They sound like a happy pair.
Catherine

Yes, they seem very happy. Danny has been going to sleep at times and I'm not sure why. I'm wondering if he is getting the same condition that Lucy had. Lucy had liver problems. He seems okay other than sleeping some at times. I may have to take him to the vet if he starts sleeping more.
That would be worrying. Sleeping more is a vague symptom, but sometimes the vague symptoms are important. Could it be age related or weather related?  Bailee is a younger bird. Could it be that she seems much more active because she is younger or is Danny really sleeping more than is usual for him.

Trust your instinct. You know if he is well or not.
Catherine

Danny started sleeping a bit more when Lucy was sick. She slept a whole lot and he may have been joining her in sleeping. It's just that 2 of my birds so far have died from liver disease and the sleeping more was a sign of that. Danny is 6 and the other birds I had started getting the liver condition around 6 and then lived about 3 more years. I should take Danny and Bailee in for a yearly check up. It's pretty expensive but something I need to do for them.
I hope Danny and Bailee will be okay, Ruth, and hope there are no liver problems, but it is wise to check, and if there are any imbalances, to catch it at a very early stage perhaps?

I am looking after a little cat right now, and she has started sleeping more this last few days. But she is otherwise healthy (eating well, drinking, content, eliminations fine) In her case I think it is the onset of Autumn in England....and the rainy days we have had since Wednesday.