Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Bowie
I work with seniors (and some younger handicapped people) in their homes. I do the practical stuff that allows them to live at home with independence and dignity. I am part of a network of people who look after seniors in their homes. A different group of people comes in to do bathing.
My agency also does transportation and meal delivery. We have a small maintenance team that can fix things. We even have an adult day care program for people with things like Alzheimers.

It takes a lot of committed people to meet everybody's needs and to be sure everybody is safe.

It is not an easy job, but I like it. I have been there 27 years.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Hi Catherine, I've taken a break from all forums for awhile, I just thought i'd stop by to say hi, anyway it's an admirable job that you do, helping our seniors.
I think that would be awesome.
If you've ever listened to very much Bowie, it would seem only natural to deliver his ashes into space.
I think "Major Tom" would agree?
R.I.P my friend!!
I like to think he is rockin' the heavens as we speak. Smile)
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Hi all. Welcome to the David Bowie thread! I do wonder what they did with his ashes. His wife may have wanted to have them but I don't know. All I know is that he wanted to be cremated immediately after his death.

Catherine, in the USA they call your job a Home Health Aide but ours do bathing too. I have a minor in Gerontological Studies and have worked with seniors, too, before I became disabled. One of my jobs was at a day care for elders with dementia. I felt so bad for them I would go into the ladies room and cry. That was quite awhile ago. That is a very admirable job you do Catherine, I bet they appreciate you more than you know. Some people can't show it, though.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Here is David Bowie by Request:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnnY_Z9OtC0

Here is the song Starman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5zmDz4vR4

Here is DB's last performance on stage in 2006:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWfYAxkBgQg

Welcome back Cathie. Sometimes you need a break from social media. I am glad to  hear from you however.

David Bowie was very busy is his last years and last days. He still had things he wanted to say.

Really fitting would be to send some of his ashes on the Mars Mission. If anyone deserves a trip to mars it is our Starman.

Different places have different names for what I do. Some bath and some don't.  I don't. It isn't easy working with dementia patients. I can at least help them to stay at home as long as possible.
I make a point of doing things for me so that I am not overwhelmed by the sadness of my clients circumstances. When you work as a care giver, the first person you have to give care to is yourself. You can't give if you have nothing to give.
Catherine

(01-31-2016, 05:15 PM)Catherine Wrote: Welcome back Cathie. Sometimes you need a break from social media. I am glad to  hear from you however.

David Bowie was very busy is his last years and last days. He still had things he wanted to say.

Really fitting would be to send some of his ashes on the Mars Mission. If anyone deserves a trip to mars it is our Starman.

Different places have different names for what I do. Some bath and some don't.  I don't. It isn't easy working with dementia patients. I can at least help them to stay at home as long as possible.
I make a point of doing things for me so that I am not overwhelmed by the sadness of my clients circumstances. When you work as a care giver, the first person you have to give care to is yourself. You can't give if you have nothing to give.

Yes, taking care of oneself is very important.  I bet they are glad to be able to stay at home.

Most people want to stay at home. People with Dementia can function longer if they stay in their own surroundings. Moving them is often the end. They go downhill very quickly.

Even people who have a lot of physical problems still do better at home. No one wants to live in an institution. It is also very expensive and there are no where near enough facilities for the number of seniors we have. Right now a lot of the population is older because the baby boomers are seniors now. It is unlikely to happen like this again. Building a bunch of nursing homes would be a mistake. We will not need them for the next generation coming up.

Home care is still the best option.

I should follow my own advice about self care. I did an extra shift on Saturday. It was the only way to fix a scheduling glitch and meet the clients needs. I was exhausted when I came home last night. I am still tired. I do not plan to get up tomorrow until I feel like it. I am feeding the guinea pigs late so I can sleep in. I could put the beardie breakfast in before I sleep. When their light comes on they could eat it right away.

As long as I get some rest.
Catherine

You've been working so hard Catherine. I hope you get yourself some needed sleep and rest.