Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protein Sources
Yes, of course, Catherine. Some vegans on a very strict diet over a very long period have been known to fall seriously ill from lack of B12. This is why the Vegan Society itself recommends choosing foods which have it added, or else taking a supplement:
https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/n...-key-facts

To be honest, I do eat non-fertilised eggs from a neighbour, who has chickens which lay eggs without a cockerel. They are happy creatures, who wander all over the place, including on to our land as well that of their caretaker! I believe that Tobi also eats non fertilised eggs, from a near neighbour in a similar situation. Chickens lay eggs naturally without a cockerel, so it is a shame for them to go to waste and rot away.

B12 can also be obtained via vegetable spreads with yeast (e.g. Marmite). I used to love Marmite, which has lots of B12, but unfortunately in recent years I got candida, so I now avoid it.

Going back to protein sources, the old "student's standby" of baked beans on toast contains lost of protein, in two forms! Maybe they eat it because it is cheap (I did as a student in the long distant past, LOL!), but it is a good well balanced and nutritious meal, especially if the bread is wholegrain.
Quinoa is great, but I never cook it according to the recommendations! Because it ends up far to mushy that way. On my pack it recommends 5 parts water to one part dry Quinoa. I only use 4. Then cook for about 20 minutes. That way it is fully cooked but still has a little texture, and not too wet. It doesn't usually need a lid on when cooking.
I wouldn't DREAM of cooking it without a stock cube and some black pepper, garlic, herbs etc. It is absolutely yummy when cooked like that.
I have it with falafel, sometimes smoked firm Tofu cooked for only about 8 minutes, or with toasted pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds sprinkled on top. It's nice to cool and add to a salad, and I believe burgers can be made with it but I have never tried that.

Actually, seed bread just by itself makes a complete protein, but it's better to add something to that as no-one could get their daily protein requirements from only bread..
And something really simple and cheap like beans on toast, makes a complete protein. So does mushrooms on toast, but the protein content isn't as high.

A bean/lentil casserole or soup/stew with bread or toasted bread on the side contains complete protein. So does falafel and rice, or nut burger/bean burger and rice. Or even rice with roasted nuts or seeds added.....bean curry and rice....so many different variations, all fairly quick and easy to cook.

This makes nice burgers:
run some nuts through a grinder. They don't need to be ground too fine. Any nuts or mixed ones can be used.
Prepare (soak in water for the recommended time) some dry vegan stuffing-mix (can usually be found in health food stores)
Add pepper, salt or any seasonings, and maybe some finely chopped onion.
Shape into small patties and grill or fry in a little favourite oil on a medium heat (not too high) until browned well.
I used to almost live on these when I was totally broke years ago, but in the fields, Hazel trees were filled with lovely nuts. I was like a Squirrel, and collected them to store for the winter.

Oh and by the way....this is a good little vegan trick!....mushrooms, left in direct sunshine for at least an hour (not behind glass) -will enrich with Vitamin D. It can be hard for someone on a strict vegan diet to get ANY vitamin D except from sunshine or supplements.
Wow, there are so many protein sources and ways to cook them. I'm going to try and find that stuffing mix that is made without animal content.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Good recommendation for the B12. I would say that I am heading for a deficiency. I will just take supplements. I do still drink milk, but it would take too much to be sure of having enough B12. I eat very little cheese any more and few eggs.
I wish I had an egg source like yours.

I might be getting enough Co enzyme Q10. I need to do a bit more reading. I think I am getting omega 3, but I will look that up as well.

I will try your method of cooking Quinoa and see how it turns out. I know it is a good protein source.

Beans on toast is a great meal. I have been known to make them from scratch. I like lots of molasses so my beans end up a dark rich colour.

I should try grinding the nuts and see how that works out.  I know toasting them gives good flavour. 

Sunflower seeds, are they a grain?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I loved those pecans I had. I ate the whole bag in a week. Nuts are one of the foods I eat too much of when I have them. There are certain foods I tend to binge on and I have to not buy a lot of them.

As for b12 and b vitamins I have been having eggs. I think they are full of those vitamins.

Eggs are high in B vitamins and so is cheese. Milk is another good source. I drink milk, but I doubt I am getting enough B12 so I have started taking a supplement.  I sat and read the list of sources and I do not eat enough of them.

Nuts have omega three don't they? If so then I am getting enough. I am working on eating a balanced diet no matter what the food sources. It is just a little less practiced when I use plant based food sources. I didn't grow up eating like that.

It is worth the effort to learn new ways of eating. I feel better about things.
Catherine

Yes, it is worth learning new things to eat. I, too, feel better about what I eat now.

I still only have a few recipes that I am good at, but I do like them so I don't mind repeats.
I will experiment with the quinoa soon. I bought three different kinds. I hope I like them.

An interesting thing just happened. I have a new client, a woman in her nineties. She is vegan. I helped her by cleaning her frig.
I was halfway through before I realized that it is all vegan.

So, you can live long and well and not eat meat.
Catherine

I made a big pot of navy bean soup last night. It was okay. I need to add some water as I put a bit too much salt in it. I should try to use other herbs and spices for health reasons. Too much salt is bad for a person.

I hope the quinoa comes out good. Next month I'm going to Nature's Bin. I forgot to go this month. I can get lots of healthy food that is meat free.

I found some tofu at my regular store last week. I like it. I like to brown it in a frying pan with cooking spray in the pan. Then I can make some kind of dish.

We used to use tofu in stir fries. It was tasty and it went with what ever sauce you added.

I hear you about the salt. It is best not to add salt until the food is ready.  There is plenty of salt in things like the broth(I get a powdered veggie broth that I add to soup etc.)
You can use lemon and pepper instead of salt.  There is salt in so much of what we eat. I don't have a salt shaker. It cuts down the temptation to add salt. I would have to get the container out and use a spoon to get some. It is not worth the trouble.
Catherine