Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protein Sources
I have lemon and pepper spice and like it. I've heard Sea Salt is better than regular but I don't know much about it.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I think sea salt is better. It would certainly contain other trace elements like iodine and that is good for us.

I avoid adding extra salt to things. Now that I am used to it, the salt that is already in foods is enough for me.
When I make hummus I do not add extra salt, but I do add lemon and pepper, also some paprika and cayenne. It is more than spicy enough for me. There are lots of herbs that can give us flavour without salt.   Salt is bad for us in so many ways. If we can keep that under control we reduce our risk of a number of health issues.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I still add some salt to what I cook but not as much as I once did.

I have to check if I have any rice to mix with beans. I had a rice and bean burrito yesterday from Taco Bell and it was pretty good.

I had hoped sea salt was a little different. Either way we get too much.

We are all better for reducing our salt intake.

You can gradually reduce the amount of salt you add when you cook. As you get used to less salt you will find your food is salty enough.
When you start using other seasonings you can cut salt even further.

There is no doubt that salt adds flavour. I  look to see if a recipe has other salt sources. Canned beans and chick peas  are salty so you do not need more salt.  A little salt adds flavour. Beyond that, the food just tastes salty. If you add too much all you taste is salt.

We were all brought up on too much salt so we all have to break free from it.  I wish they would stop adding so much salt to the foods you buy. I know it is a preservative, but manufacturers go too far.
Catherine

I cook my beans from scratch often so they don't have any salt. That's right that foods do taste good without salt. I had a spice called Asian Spices that had a good mix of spices that I really like. I used it for many years and ran out of it. There is only one place I know of that sells it and that is Marc's. I don't go there much because it's always so crowded. I may try to go on a weekday morning to get that spice.

When you start using things like Asian Spice you forget all about salt.  You wouldn't taste the salt if you have used the other spices well.  I don't know why we started using salt so much.
Catherine

Humans naturally have a taste for salty and sweet things because of their taste buds craving them. I love really salty olives! I can't buy them all the time or my blood pressure will go up. Mine goes up whenever I get into some salty food for awhile.

I like a little bit of salt but not too much. I don't like salty snacks & nuts. I always rub the salt off packaged nuts, and prefer the natural ones. I add an organic stock cube to soups and stews, but have noticed that over time I have changed, and one cube (which I always used to use) is way too salty, so I now use half a cube.
It seems that my tastebuds have changed re: salt. But I like a tiny bit. Potatoes boiled without any....I can never like that!

The one thing I can never 'get' is why sugar has to be added to peanut butter! Or bread! They don't taste half as nice with sugar in them.

But I must admit I like sweet things when they are meant to be sweet....like cakes and chocolates. Vegan cakes can be very nice. Sometimes maple syrup or agave is used instead (yum!) I am not bothered about eating salt and sugar really. In small amounts. I like honey, but it is brutal to the bees to harvest honey the way we usually do.
I have a problem with some foods being to sugary. I like bread and often is tastes so sweet. I am going to look for sugar free stuff. I am pre-diabetic and don't need all that sugar. I don't like too much salt either Tobi except olives!!

There are ways of harvesting honey that do not harm the bees. I must see if I can find the article.

Using honey as a sweetener is good. It tastes much sweeter than refined sugar so you use less.

Sugar is like salt. Once you cut back on it everything tastes much sweeter. It takes much less to satisfy the craving for sweet things.
I like olives and they are quite salty, but I can only eat a small amount.

Tobi, it is good that you don't have to worry about sugar and salt.  You have eaten properly for years so your system is in good shape. I have to watch my salt, sugar and fat intake. I am fine, but if I am careless things can get out of balance. If I ignore that then I would have problems.

Most of us eating a city diet need to watch our salt and sugar intake.
Catherine