Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016, Year of the Vegan
I think it is because people are questioning things that we have an increased interest in vegan foods.

Even if people only partly eat vegan they are saving a lot of animal lives.  If enough people do it, the whole food industry will have to change in response to what people want.

This could be an interesting year.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, even if they are vegetarian and not vegan that helps, too.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
It is a help if people reduce the amount of meat they eat.  I think we will end up with a real spectrum, a range of eating habits that involve varying amounts of vegetarian and vegan foods. 

A lot of people are curious to try vegan foods and see what it is like to eat totally plant based meals. Of those who try vegan foods some will actually continue to eat that way and live a vegan lifestyle.  It is a real change in our thinking that vegan foods are available in regular grocery stores.

I noticed that the vitamins at the drug store were labeled as being suitable for vegetarian  diets. I have soaps that are labeled vegan. For Christmas I was given a scented candle that is  vegan. The "wax" is a soya product and the scent is herbal. I didn't even know that candles could be vegan or non vegan.
Catherine

I eat vegan foods. I bought some vegan grilled burgers at the store last week. I thought I'd try them. I think I've had them before but forgot what they taste like. They are made by Boca. I have a weakness for cheese. I should try the vegan cheese but I've heard it tastes bad. I am not eating any meat now.

I have never tried vegan cheese. I understand that they are really working on making the products better. I think we will find any food we like in a vegan form in the future. After all, Ben and Jerry's now has vegan ice-cream. The flavours look good. I will try them if I get a chance. I don't eat much ice-cream. I am more interested in the cheese.
Catherine

Nature's Bin has vegan cheese and I'm going to get some in a few days when I go shopping there. I drink Soymilk and have for a long time. I can't digest regular milk and I like the taste of Soymilk much better. There is also Almond Milk and Cashew Milk made by Silk now. Silk is the name of the company that makes it.

I have seen silk, but I haven't tried it. There are other brands available so I even have choices. There are so many choices available because more and more people want them.

I walked past a little pub that just opened. They have a small menu of things to eat(about five choices) and one of the items is labeled as vegan.  Some kind of vegan tacos I think.  It is not on a special menu, it is one of the options on the main menu.

Vegan is now seen as a mainstream option.
Catherine

Yes, that's wonderful vegan is becoming mainstream. I'm really enjoying the different foods I am eating instead of meat. I went shopping yesterday at Nature's Bin and got Flax Milk-it's not bad, I like it. I also got raw walnuts and raw pecans and hummus. I think I am going to try to make my own hummus. For so little it is expensive.

It is cheaper to make hummus. A can of chick peas is about a dollar and you need a couple of spoons of tahini and a little olive oil and lemon.  There is no way you can buy it as cheaply.

I love the raw nuts like that. They add crunch and texture to meals and they make a great snack.

I usually don't have pecans, but I get walnuts, almonds and cashews. My favourite is Brazil nuts. I always eat them raw as a snack because I never quite get them into a recipe. I always eat them first.
Catherine

I know what you mean about eating all the nuts! I have been munching on the walnuts and pecans. I got some free range eggs, too. Suzy even likes nuts. If I break a little piece off that is.