Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016, Year of the Vegan
I have seen dogs eat nuts. I am surprised. I didn't think they would like them.

I find a few chopped nuts tossed on anything makes it a tastier meal and more nourishing.

I get a rice mix that has brown, white and wild rices and some grains. It is a really good mixture. It goes well with anything and has lots of texture and nutrition.

I should look around and see if I can find free range eggs. I still like eggs for baking.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am surprised by the food that Suzy likes like nuts, bananas, carrots, peppers, turnips, tomatoes, beans, ice cream. I havn't bought any ice cream lately. I may go back to Nature's Bin today. I can check if they have vegan ice cream there. They have so much there I couldn't spend $500 easily! I don't spend that much, though. lol Smile

That rice sounds tasty. I like to mix rice with beans. I got some free range eggs from NB.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Any combination of rice and beans is a balanced protein. It is the easiest thing to do.

I used the left over rice mix with the chick pea balls that I make. They have chick peas, toasted almonds, ginger and shredded pumpkin(or zucchini). I brown them in a pan and serve them with rice and a mushroom gravy. It was a nice meal.

I can spend a lot when I get to a place like your Nature's Bin.  They always have good stuff. I need more nuts. I eat some every day as a snack and added to lots of things.

I am sure Suzy is enjoying the fact that you are eating more nuts. She sure likes a lot of odd things. You never know what a dog will eat.
Catherine

Suzy likes most veggies but not lettuce or spinach. She loves broccoli. She patiently waits for a bit of food when I eat and so I've only been giving her healthy things.

Broccoli as a snack would be good for a dog. It is so much better than the dogs who get cookies  and chips.

I started eating better when I got the guinea pigs. They have to eat fresh veggies so I have to keep a good supply in my frig. It is easy to make myself some salad when I feed them.

Spinach is something you either like or not. It has strong flavour. I have had guinea pigs who didn't like it.
I love spinach! I eat it raw instead of lettuce.
Catherine

Yes, fresh veggies are so good for us and our pets. I tried to give the birds some spinach the other day, raw of course but they didn't want it. They are very used to their normal diet.

I want to go vegan and may. I have to decide to give up all forms of dairy and eggs. It may be a process to change from vegetarian to vegan. For the animals and for my health it would be really good.

I think a lot of people are at least partly, even mostly vegetarian.  The vegan option is more complicated at first because it takes practice to get the foods we need without animal sources. Many people are considering it. I don't know how far I can go. I am working at making vegan meals and I am enjoying them. Without pressuring myself, I am eating at least partly vegan. Like you I want to do this. Who knows, by this time next year we may be eating vegan all the time.

I am working on this one meal at a time.
Catherine

I really don't like eggs all that much but I do like cheese. I haven't tried the vegan cheese I have in my refrigerator yet but I will. I'll let you know how it taste. It's called Garden Veggie Vegan Cheese. I don't know why I worry about cheese. It clogs up the arteries, doen't it? I take pravastatin for lowering cholesterol and really am supposed to have fat free cheese which doesn't taste all that good. Maybe we both will be vegan by next year, you never know. Smile

The important thing is to be aware of what we are eating.  For our own health it matters and for the sake of animals in factory farms it matters.  If you care about animals you should at least try to eat ethically. 

We have a number of Forum members who have eaten ethically for years. I commend them for their dedication to animal welfare.  It is easier now because more people are interested in vegetarian/vegan food. It took real commitment to eat ethically before anyone else cared.

I look to them as an example of what can be done. I hope I do as well.
Catherine

Best of luck to you!